- DOUBT makes you question God’s work and his goodness
- DISCOURAGEMENT makes you look at your problems rather than at God
- DIVERSION makes the wrong things seem attractive so that you will want them more than the right things
- DEFEAT makes you feel like a failure so that you don’t even try
- DELAY makes you put off doing something so that it never gets done
I was definitely wrestling with a sumo-sized heap of Discouragement and Defeat after Tuesday’s call (Debacle?). Some days it just feels like no matter what you do, if you work hard and play by the rules, if you’re kind and reasonable and polite, if you prepare and save and sacrifice and jump through a thousand hoops, well, nothing happens. All you get is . . . tired. You wonder what you are thinking to take on this outrageous process called adoption and this monumental responsibility called parenting when you can’t even seem to handle your life as it is.
But then . . . you walk by the sea, you are offered a gift, you get the giggles, you listen to a friend. You find you have companions on the path, and you walk on. You determine that D is for DONE worrying about tomorrow’s troubles today, and lo and behold it feels much better than wallowing in destruction.
Note: I believe the 5 D’s were scammed from the Life Application Study Bible notes.
The others were gifts from friends.