Sunday, December 14, 2008

Prayers for Aunt Barb

We pray tonight for my aunt Barb, whose husband Jerry left this earth late last night. It happened so fast; I can't believe he will not be there when we go to Michigan in just a couple weeks. We will miss Jerry's hearty laugh and constantly but good-naturedly teasing Aaron about the Lions. He never got to see the Lions win the Super Bowl, but he will be happy that in heaven there are no 0-and-16 teams...

Barb has family and friends surrounding her with support, but the weeks ahead when things quiet down will be difficult. I am sorry I cannot be there this week but glad it is just a couple weeks until we will see her.


You who live in heaven
Hear the prayers of those of us who live on earth
Who are afraid of being left by those we love and
Who get hardened in the hurt
Do you remember when you lived down here where we all scrape
To find the faith to ask for daily bread....

I know you bore our sorrows
I know you feel our pain
I know that it would not hurt any less even if it could be explained....

And so, you've been here all along I guess
It's just your ways and you are just plain hard to get

--Rich Mullins, "Hard to Get"

"You can't conceive, nor can I, the appalling strangeness of the mercy of God."
--Graham Greene

No comments: