And the fans' reaction? Let's just say they may have grown a tad cynical. Some quips from the message boards after the deal was announced:
- The Detroit news is reporting that a 1,000 Lions fans have jumped off the Ambassador Bridge. They're doing all they can to save the people.
- Stafford, let me introduce you to the wheel chair.
- OK . . . well, welcome to Detroit, Matt! Now get rid of that damn curse and win us a super bowl . . . you have your hands full.
- Congrats, Matt! If anyone knows how to lead a team to a championship that hasn't won since 1957, it's you.
- Mr. Stafford, welcome to the Lion Nation. We are harsh, sometimes brutal, but loyal. Welcome to hell, rook!!!!
- Congratulations, Matt. Now you have the time and money to take piano lessons.
- Fan 1: "Hopefully now The Curse of Bobby Lane is officially over!" Fan 2: "For $78 million, something had better be over."
- Stafford, welcome to the Lions--if you are a pro bowler and hall of famer, you won't get booed.
- Can he be converted to a left tackle?
- It's time for the rest of the league to prepare . . . for a Staff Infection!
And most disturbingly:But hey, it's spring. Hope springs
Or if you're not drinking the Kool-Aid yet, add your own smart-aleck quip below!
Awaiting pick #20 . . .
"We're Lions fans. The draft is our Super Bowl."