Thursday, February 05, 2009

Like Cops, Only More Embarrassing

Great Moments in Youth Ministry

We had about 30 teenagers here for the Super Bowl last week, as is our custom. We project the game on the wall—now in 3-D!—and even have balcony seating (in the loft). Aw yeah, this is a party house. (And it could be yours! For sale!)


Monday we had perhaps the greatest Young Life scavenger hunt ever: Mattress Madness. Four groups of about eight kids, each group carrying a mattress around town on a photo scavenger hunt. Leaders drove around trying to catch them; they would lose points if they were tagged not all jumping up and down on their mattress. Like idiots. Highlights:
  • I got to ride shotgun with a night vision video camera and a ten-thousand-jiggawatt spotlight (I'm sure that's legal).
  • In an attempt at a spy-vs-spy -style sneak attack, I jumped out and sprinted two blocks with a Mag light, alarming some guy who seem unsure if I was robbing him or being robbed.
  • One kid got yelled at by a grumpy cop for running into the street to flag down the cop car.
  • One group got eggs thrown at them; one girl got hit in the head.
  • The Post Office and some banks will see one heck of an entertaining show if they look at their security camera footage.
In short, it was awesome. It was like Cops meets . . . a bunch of idiots jumping up and down on mattresses.

Alas, all photos are currently undergoing forensic examination to see which groups cheated (most). But I'll long treasure the memory in my mind. And in my calf muscles. I really don't do sprinting. Ah, the things the love of young people adrenaline and sugar can compel an old person like me to do.

Overheard in Youth Work:

Impulsive Cop-Chasing Student: "I said we need our picture with your car and he said, 'You're about to be in my car!'"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, it's the great posts like this that make me miss my days (um, and nights) in youth work! And the cop quote? Best. Quote. Ever.

Marc and Gretchen said...

So do you think something like this would fly in GR? :) I suppose not, but I love the idea of it. I can picture it in my head...

RMMcDowell said...

That's FANTASTIC!!!